Auditions for The Sound of Music are January 7-9 for students entering Grades 3 through 12 this school year. (If your student is not old enough or does not wish to audition, please consider enrolling in our Youth Theatre Companies program’s productions of Rock On! A Jukebox Musical Revue or Disney’s Moana Jr. for Grades PreK-12.)
Callbacks will take place January 10 from 3-7 PM for students who are requested to attend. If a callback is requested, you will be contacted by January 9 at 10 PM by email. Students will be notified of their casting no later than January 11 at 10 AM by email.
Click here for a list of character descriptions!
Audition blocks are listed below, and you can select which one your student will attend on your student’s Registration Form.
- Block A – Thursday, January 7, 5-8 PM
- Block B – Friday, January 8, 6-9 PM
- Block C – Saturday, January 9, 9 AM-12 PM
- Block D – Saturday, January 9, 1-4 PM
- Block E – Saturday, January 9, 5-8 PM
How to prepare:
- Fill out your student’s Registration Form. Headshots and resumes are encouraged as well, and can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not bring hard copies to your audition.
- Prepare and memorize a 16 to 32-bar selection from a musical theatre song. Please do not sing selections from The Sound of Music.
- Please bring sheet music, three-hole-punched, double-sided, and in a three-ring binder. An accompanist will be provided. Tracks may not be used. Students may not sing a cappella (without accompaniment.)
- Please bring a water bottle. Mess-free, nut-free snacks are permitted to be eaten during breaks only. Gum is not permitted.
- Please wear proper attire for a dance audition. Dance or athletic shoes required. No restrictive attire, open-toed shoes, flip-flops/sandals, heels, or skirts/dresses without leggings or shorts beneath.
- No monologue is required. All auditioners will participate in cold readings from The Sound of Music, even if not auditioning for that production. The script will be emailed to all auditioners at least two days prior to the auditions.
- Auditions, as well as rehearsals, are closed to parents, family members, and other visitors. For safety reasons, only students and approved staff/volunteers are permitted.
- Research the production to gain an understanding of what roles you may be best suited to in this production and to become familiar with the music within this show. Please note that we are not auditioning for all roles, as there are cast members from our original production postponed due to Covid-19 restrictions who will be reprising their roles.
If your student would like some help preparing for their audition, the CFCArts Academy is here to help with Virtual Private Lessons in audition prep covering acting, voice, and/or dance coaching! Lessons can be one-time (called “Flex”) or you can set up recurring lessons if you prefer. Contact Academy@cfcarts.com to register!