CFCArts Youth Theatre Troupe, an audition-only performance group for grades 3-12 is presenting Matilda the Musical in Fall 2019.
CFCArts Youth Theatre Companies, non-auditioned performance groups for students ages Pre-K – 12 is presenting Broadway Nutcracker, a telling of the classic holiday story through musical theatre songs and familiar holiday tunes. For this program, students in grades 3-12 are welcome to audition for features and solos.
- Audition Times:
- Block 0 – Thursday, August 1st, 5:30-8:30pm
- BLOCK A – Friday, August 2nd, 5:30-8:30pm (Audition block is full and no longer available)
- BLOCK B – Saturday, August 3rd, 9am-12pm (Audition block is full and no longer available)
- BLOCK C – Saturday, August 3rd, 1-4pm (Audition block is full and no longer available)
- BLOCK D – Saturday, August 3rd, 5-8pm (Audition block is full and no longer available)
- CALLBACKS (for Matilda only) – Sunday, August 4th, 2-7pm (Students may be released early)
- Auditions will be at Calvary Orlando, 1199 Clay Street, Winter Park in the Calvary Kids building (Click here for a map of Calvary Orlando – the Calvary Kids building is #2 on this map)
- Callbacks will be at CFCArts School of the Arts, 250 SW Ivanhoe Blvd, Orlando.
- Auditioners will be emailed an audition form once they have signed up for an audition block. Audition forms can also be found in the Forms section below. Please bring this form completed in its entirety to your audition. Headshots and resumes are also encouraged.
- Auditioners will be emailed a conflict form once they have signed up for an audition block. Conflict forms can also be found in the Forms section below. Please bring this form completed in its entirety to your audition. All conflicts with the production schedule must be fully and completely disclosed at or before the time of audition.
- Prepare and memorize a 16 to 32-bar selection from a musical theatre song. Please do not sing selections from Matilda or popular music.
- Please bring sheet music. An accompanist will be provided. Tracks may not be used.
- Please bring a water bottle. Mess-free, nut-free snacks are permitted.
- Please wear proper attire for a dance audition. Dance or athletic shoes required. No restrictive attire, open-toed shoes, flip-flops/sandals, heels, or skirts/dresses without leggings or shorts beneath.
- Please review the Characters section below for a list of character descriptions and vocal ranges.
- No monologue is required. All auditioners will participate in cold readings from the script, and will be provided with access to the script prior to auditions (See below.)
- Auditions, as well as callbacks and rehearsals, are closed to parents and family members. For safety reasons, only students and approved staff/volunteers are permitted.
- We highly encourage all students to audition in person. However, if absolutely necessary, students may request to send in a video audition by emailing email@example.com. All video auditions must be approved ahead of submission by the CFCArts Education staff.
- Video auditions are due by 8 PM on Friday, August 2nd and, again, must be approved AHEAD OF TIME by the CFCArts Education staff. Video auditions must be emailed as a video file (attachment or Google Drive, or a link to a video-hosting website such as YouTube) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Video auditions must contain:
- Students singing a memorized 16 to 32-bar selection from any musical theatre song with live or track accompaniment. (Please do not sing selections from Matilda or popular music, and please do not sing over recorded vocals.)
- Students performing a short dance selection from Matilda. A demonstration video and accompaniment track will be emailed to all video auditionees by Wednesday, July 31st at 5 PM.
- Students performing 1-3 short, age-appropriate monologues from Matilda, which need not be memorized. A selection of monologues from which to choose for both male and female students of various ages will be emailed to all video auditionees by Wednesday, July 31st at 5 PM.
If for any reason a video auditionee will not have access to internet Wednesday, July 31st to Friday, August 2nd and needs the above materials ahead of time, please contact us ASAP at email@example.com.
Matilda the Musical Character Descriptions
All characters use some form of British accent.
“Matilda Wormwood” – Female, 8-13
An imaginative girl who is clever and wise far beyond her years. She has a thirst for learning that cannot be quenched. Likable and charismatic, not annoying or pretentious. Honest and unassuming, but with a prankster streak and a strong sense of justice.
Must be a very strong singer and actress, equally. Strong dancing skills preferred but not required.
Vocal range top: D5
Vocal range bottom: A3
“Miss Agatha Trunchbull” – Male or Female, 13-18
The tyrannical headmistress at Matilda’s school who despises children. Male in female clothing/makeup/hair, or female. A cruel and sadistic person, but not a brute or brash – rather, sly and conniving, cunning and slinky.
Above all, must be a strong actor with a good sense of physicality and characterization. Strong singer and dancer preferred.
Vocal range top: G4
Vocal range bottom: A2
“Miss Jennifer Honey” – Female, 13-18
Matilda’s kindhearted teacher. She is tired of living in fear under Miss Trunchbull. Sweet, honest, caring, and intelligent, Miss Honey is timid but willing to become brave and stand up to bullies in order to protect her students. Must be a lovely, strong singer and a strong enough actor to make the role truly compelling.
Vocal range top: D5
Vocal range bottom: F3
“Mr. Wormwood” – Male, 13-18
Matilda’s uncaring father. A slimy, greedy used-car salesman, unintentionally hilarious. Must be a VERY strong actor and comedian; improv and dance skills preferred. Must also be a relatively strong singer.
Vocal range top: A4
Vocal range bottom: D3
“Mrs. Wormwood” – Female, 13-18
Matilda’s self-absorbed, negligent mother and an amateur ballroom dancer. Must be a VERY strong comedic/character actress, dancer, and singer able to carry off a sizable comedic role.
Vocal range top: F5
Vocal range bottom: A3
“The Entertainer” – Male, 13-18
The Entertainer is a sort of magical narrator for our story, playing a variety of roles throughout the show and singing various songs including the opening number “Miracle.” Must be a strong character actor able to embody different roles using physicality and accent, as well as a VERY strong singer.
Vocal range top: A4 or Eb4
Vocal range bottom: F#3
“Bruce” – Male, 8-13
Matilda’s classmate. He is subject to extreme punishment by Miss Trunchbull. Bruce is a genuine, kind-hearted boy with a fondness for sweets; his spirit is broken by the Trunchbull but he bounces back stronger than ever. Must be a very strong actor and singer with monologues, featured scenes, and solos throughout. Strong dance skills preferred.
Vocal range top: E5
Vocal range bottom: C4
“Lavender” – Female, 8-13
Matilda’s classmate and best friend. Lavender is squeaky and super-adorable, and what she lacks in intelligence she makes up for in enthusiasm and friendliness. Must be a very strong actor and singer with monologues, featured scenes, and solos throughout. Strong dance skills preferred.
“Tommy”, “Eric”, and “Nigel” – Males, 8-13
Matilda’s boy classmates. Each has important lines and solos, and some have featured dance moments as well. Strong singers, actors, and dancers required.
“Amanda”, “Alice”, and “Hortensia” – Females, 8-13
Matilda’s girl classmates. Each has important lines and solos, and some have featured dance moments as well. Strong singers, actors, and dancers required.
“Michael Wormwood” – Male, 8-13
Matilda’s slightly older brother. He is a deadpan comedic character, with various lines and “bits” throughout the show. Must be a strong comedic actor. Will also be a “Big Kid.”
Vocal range top: E5
Vocal range bottom: C4
“Mums and Dads / Big Kids” – Males and Females, 13-18
Several performers will play the Mums and Dads in the opening number “Miracle” and the Big Kids in all songs and large scenes at Matilda’s school. These performers will also double as various “adult” speaking and singing roles throughout the show. Each has important lines and solos, and some have featured dance moments as well. Strong singers, actors, and dancers required.
“The Entertainer” and “Mums and Dads / Big Kids”, 13-18, will also play the following roles:
- “Doctor” – The doctor who delivers Matilda. Vocal range top: A4. Vocal range bottom: C3.
- “Mrs. Phelps” – A kindly librarian and Matilda’s friend. No solos or dance features; many lines.
- “The Escapologist” – A character in Matilda’s story. Vocal range top: E4. Vocal range bottom: C3.
- “The Acrobat” – A character in Matilda’s story. Vocal range top: A4. Vocal range bottom: D4.
- “Rudolpho” – Mrs. Wormwood’s dancing partner. Vocal range top: A4. Vocal range bottom: D#3
- “Competitive Dancers” – Mrs. Wormwood and Rudolpho’s dancing competition.
- “Judge” – The judge at Mrs. Wormwood and Rudolpho’s dancing tournament.
- “Cook” – The cook at Miss Trunchbull’s school.
- “Mechanic” – A mechanic who works for Mr. Wormwood at the used car lot.
- “Sergei” – A Russian mob boss who Mr. Wormwood rips off.
- “Henchmen/Henchwomen” – Sergei’s Russian associates who threaten the Wormwoods.
- “Michael Wormwood” may also be played by a “Dad” if needed.
Audition Registration –
- For new families – fill out an interest form, and our Education Administrator will contact you, talk you through the process, and get your child set up for an audition.
- For returning families – Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for an audition time slot.
- Do you have questions? Email email@example.com or call 407-937-1800 extension 719. We would love to have you join us!
To learn more about Matilda the Musical and the CFCArts Youth Theatre Troupe – click here!
To learn more about Broadway Nutcracker and the CFCArts Youth Musical Theatre Companies – click here!