Meet the Young Artists Orchestra
The Young Artists Sinfonia
The Young Artists Sinfonia is a string orchestra for our youngest members. It is structured to allow the young beginner to intermediate level string student an opportunity to participate in a large group ensemble experience. The Sinfonia plays advanced beginner to intermediate repertoire and typically performs multiple concerts each year. The Sinfonia typically includes musicians who can perform level 2 or 3 string books.
Sinfonia Annual Cost: $175
The Young Artists Philharmonic
The Young Artists Philharmonic is an intermediate String and Wind Orchestra, consisting mainly of middle school students with some talented elementary school students and a few high school students. The Philharmonic’s mission is to give students an educationally sound musical experience in a full orchestral setting through exposure to quality musical literature and performance opportunities. Intermediate to advanced orchestral repertoire along with challenging arrangements of great masterpieces are rehearsed and performed throughout the concert season. The Philharmonic Orchestra performs about six concerts each season.
Philharmonic Annual Cost: $175
The Young Artists Symphony Orchestra
The Young Artists Symphony Orchestra is a full orchestra performing challenging orchestral repertoire. Symphony Orchestra is an advanced group of students ranging from age 11 through age 17. Professional guest artists may appear as featured soloists and a fully dimensional orchestral stylistic curriculum includes learning music of the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and 20th Century. The Symphony is featured in numerous concerts throughout the year.
Symphony Orchestra Annual Cost: $175
How to Audition
- All students, current members and any new students, must audition!
- Auditions are to determine the student’s current skill level.
- Auditions will be held at Central Christian Church, 250 SW Ivanhoe Blvd, Orlando, FL 32804 on Saturday, August 13th, 2016 from 10am-3pm & Saturday, August 20th, 2016 from 10am-4pm
- To sign up for an audition date/time, please email YAO@cfcarts.com
- Students will be asked to audition with a prepared solo, scales, and sight-reading.
- Symphony Auditions: students should play a minimum of a grade 4 solo (FBA/FOA scale)
- Philharmonic Auditions: Philharmonic Strings: a student should play a level 2 or 3 grade solo (FOA scale)” and Philharmonic Winds: a students should play a level 1-2 grade solo (FBA scale)
- Sinfonia Auditions: student should have completed level 2 or 3 string books and play an excerpt from one of them.
- Each audition will take no more than 10 minutes, and students/parents will be contacted with placement by Saturday evening, August 20th, 2016
- Season dues must be paid by the second rehearsal on August 28st, 2016 unless a payment plan has been agreed upon.
*For the children’s safety, all of our Young Artist Orchestra rehearsals are closed to visitors*
About the Directors
Jose is a graduate of FSU, where he earned a Bachelors in Music Education. At FSU he studied flute under Ms. Eva Amsler, and conducting under Dr. Patrick Dunnigan and Dr. Alex Jimenez. During his time at FSU, Jose was a member of the Symphonic Band, Wind Orchestra and Symphony Orchestra. He has also participated in Masterclasses with Artist such as Ian Clarke, and Directors Steve Davis, Kevin Sedatole, Daniel Schmidt, and Joe Parisi. Jose is a member of the CFCA Orchestra, and serves in the Orchestra Leadership Team. Jose is currently the Director of Bands at Oak Ridge High School, and has taught Band and Orchestra at the High School and Middle School levels.
Jessica started playing clarinet when she was twelve years old and hasn’t stopped since! She participated in Marching Band, Concert Band and Symphonic Band throughout high school and college. She attended the University of Central Florida where she majored in Music Education and graduated in 2009. She has now taught Elementary Music in Pasco County for three years.
Madison graduated from University of Central Florida with a Bachelors degree in Music Education. She is originally from Texas and has played French Horn for over 14 years. Madison is currently an elementary music teacher and works with students kindergarten through fifth grade. She is involved with the CFCArts Orchestra as well as the mass choir.
Jimmy studied at Stetson University, where he earned his Bachelors’ Degree in Music Education. He is currently the Director of Orchestras at Cypress Creek High School in Orlando, FL where he has served for over a decade. He not only conducts the orchestras, but also the school’s Guitar program and is the lead teacher for the Music Certification in the school’s International Baccalaureate Diploma Program. He is an active member of the Florida Orchestra Association (FOA), the National Association for Music Education (NAfME), the Florida Federation of Music Clubs (FFMC), and is an alumnus of the Xi Nu Chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, Inc.
Have you already auditioned and know in which orchestra you have been placed? Then here is everything you need to know!
- Kick Off: Sunday, August 21st, 2016
- Rehearsals: Sundays, from 3:00pm to 5:00pm
- Rehearsal Location: Calvary Orlando, 1199 Clay Street, Winter Park, FL 32789 (all rehearsals are closed to guests. Performers are to be dropped off and picked up in Calvary’s gym lobby)
- Concerts: Saturday, December 10th at 7:00pm